Title: i was a fat kid
Date(s) of creation: October, 1994
Creator / author / publisher: Max Airborne, FaT GiRL
Physical description: Part of a zine page with a comic drawn in black and white
Reference #: FG1-008-FatKid
Links: [ PDF ]
From FaT GiRL #1, October, 1994
by Max Airborne
Image description: A comic hand drawn with black ink on white paper. A series of frames mixing drawings and handwritten text, arranged from top to bottom, left to right.
1 . I was a fat kid. [simple drawing of a fat kid, like a stick drawing but with balloon shapes instead of sticks. Hair sticks straight up.] I learned that I was a blob (“BLOB” is in big bubble letters).
2. [A round hand mirror with cracked glass.]
3. I became associated with other blobs [A whale swimming, a pig face, the round earth from above.]
4. When I was 8, I reached my mother’s ideal weight. [Same fat kid on a bathroom scale, viewed from above. The scale reads 120.] [A speech bubble from mom: “Good dear! You’ll be a perfect grownup if you never gain a pound!]
5. Gee, I sure didn’t feel perfect. [face with straight mouth, a question mark above them.]
6. They tried to free the skinny girl inside me. Threats [a hand saw, a sharp knife with a glinting blade, the word food crossed out, a frown of shame saying “BAD!”.]
7. [Same fat kid behind prison bars.] They couldn’t find her.
8. I retreated inward. [spiral with arrow pointing inward.]
9. I wanted to find her too. [Fat kid, slightly older, with a satchel on a stick over their shoulder, walking on top of a hill with sun and mountains in the background.]
10. I figured out the problem! She ain’t skinny. [Fat adult with black clothes and a cape, arms forward flying through the air. The letters FG are on their chest.]
FaT GiRL 1 Pages
- FaT GiRL #1 Cover
- FaT GiRL is
- What’s Inside…
- Survey: Chew On This!
- Photos: Oso & Barbarism
- Stories: Fat Fucking Bitch
- Judy Freespirit – A. Hernandez Talks to One of the Foremothers of Fat Activism
- Poetry: Real Mujeres Have Panzas
- Comics: i was a fat kid
- Culture: Hanky Codes
- Stories: Demon
- Poetry: Poison
- Advice: Hey Fat Chick!
- Stories: Give Me a Microphone
- Comics: Shape Up, Little Sisters!
- Columns we’d like to see
- Recipes: Fat Girl Revenge Cocktail
- Stories: Thank You Note to a Top
- Photos: Heather & Amiee
- Helpful Hint: Hysterical Pregnancy and lnsta-Birthing:
- FaT GiRL Roundtable
- Fat Girl Lives! And a polka
- No Excuses
- Poem by Raquel
- Go Ahead, Try it On
- Advice: Ask the Gear Queen
- Poem by Raquel
- Recycling Hints!
- One Fat Day…
- FaT GiRL Personals
- FaT GiRL issues & reader surveys
- Go for a ride with FaT GiRL
- FaT GiRL #1 Back Cover